Friday, December 12, 2008

Hannah's Full Essay

Hannah Staley

Mr. Salsich

9 English

15 December 2008



Regrets, can’t live with them can’t live with out them
An essay on a regret in my life and my plan on living regret free

OP: Regrets when you think about it are such simple things. In a way they are like mistakes, some more significant than the others. In my life I have had very few regrets, but I’m only fourteen so that will change. Also, something I am working on in my life is not holding grudges with myself about these predicaments.

TS: A past regret that was pretty important to me occurred in the seventh grade. SD: My best friend at the time and I were really close, like sisters when all of a sudden that changed. CM: One day she got a boyfriend and we both thought that that was a really cool thing and we would talk about it on our regular Friday sleepovers. CM: Then one day her boyfriend and I got into a fight. SD: At first we tried to work things out between the three of us because we wanted to resolve a solution and do this for each other. CM: But the result wasn’t that great and it was deeply disappointing for me. CM: My best friend at the time ended up dumping her boyfriend so we could work on our friendship and that only made people look down on me as a person more. SD: Now looking back on the situation, it drew my best friend and me more apart and we aren’t as close. CM: I really miss those daily Friday sleepovers and talking about everything. CM: In a way our friendship ended in such a sudden way that now I fell like there wasn’t anything there and sometimes I get sad about that.

TS: Most people know me as being a somewhat paranoid person and something I am pretty paranoid about is learning to deal with regret. SD: From this point on, something I want to work on is living my life with no regrets. CM: I have slowly come to realize that these regrets, vexatious little pieces of my past, have controlled me for way to long (S-V split). CM: I have turned into the type of person who carries these regrets with her and hasn’t quite figured out how to “let go.” SD: So from this day forward I am going to make these nagging regrets memories, forever. CM: While these annoying regrets have bothered me for the past few years of my life, they have done me one bit of good and that’s that these regrets have shaped me as a person. CM: After regretting loosing one of the best friendships I have ever had, I learned that two people need to work at a situation like this together in order to make it work. CM: I have also learned that at the end of all good things, new great things begin (chiasmus).

CP: I have had many experiences in my life and now thinking about regrets I realized how many I actually have. While writing this paper, I have learned that regrets are just like mistakes and although they aren’t always fixable, they are a learning experience. I really want to thank the people in my life who have caused me to regret, because they are the people who have helped me become the girl I am today.


Self Assessment:
1. What do you like best about your essay? What I like the most about my essay is my 1st body paragraph. I think I got pretty personal which helps the reader get to know a little bit about what I went through and maybe they can even relate to the same situation.
2. What was the hardest part of this assignment for you? The hardest part of this assignment for me was using the S-V split and chiasmus. These writing tools look easy but then when I have to apply them to my writing I get confused. So that is something I am also trying to work on.

No comments: